This guide is for staff creating a weighted total column in MyBeckett's Grade Centre. A weighted total column allows you to weight assignment marks to produce a calculated module total.
There is a default weighted column in every new module. This will not display any results until you set up weightings for the columns you want to include.
Note: If your weighted total column already contains data, we advise that you check with other instructors on your module before making changes.
a. In the module Control Panel, click Grade Centre, then click Full Grade Centre.
b. Click the action link (down arrow) next to the column title for the first column you want to include in the calculation.
c. Click Edit Column Information.
d. On the column settings page, set the Include this Column in Grade Centre Calculations option to Yes and click Submit.
Important: You need to do this for every column that you weight towards a calculated total.
Click the action link (down arrow) next to the Weighted Total
column title, then click Edit Column Information
f. You can edit the Column Name, Description and change how marks are presented (Percentage, Score etc.)
g. In the Select Columns section, choose which assignments you want to add weight to. Click the assignment name, then click the arrow to move it into the Selected Columns section.
h. Type the percentage for each assignment in the box next to it.
i. Calculate as running total allows you to choose whether you want assignment weighting to be calculated as each assignment is marked, or wait until all assignments are marked, then calculate the weighted total.
• If set to Yes, the weighted total updates as each assignment is marked.
• If set to No, the weighted total of all assignments is shown, even if students haven’t submitted yet.
j. In the Options section, you can:
• Include this Column in Grade Centre Calculations: Select whether you would like to use this total to calculate another total, choosing Yes or No. Unless you’ve developed a fiendishly complicated marking process, it's probably No.
• Show this Column to Students: If you want students to see the weighted total as soon as you click Submit, choose Yes. To keep it hidden until you release all marks, select No.
• Show Statistics (average and median) for this column to Students in My Grades: Show students average and median grades for module assignments i.e. how they compare to their peers. Choose either Yes or No.
k. Click Submit.
l. The Weighted Total column now displays your weighted total.