Hide marks from students (settings checklists)
This guide contains a checklist of settings that you can refer to when setting up an assignment, to ensure that marks are hidden from students until you are ready to release them.
How do I control the release of marks to students?
One of the key features of MyBeckett's Grade Centre is that you use it to determine whether or not assignment columns are shown (students can see their marks) or hidden (students can't see their marks).
In addition, some Blackboard and Turnitin assignment settings control the visibility of Grade Centre column information, so we have listed these settings in this guide.
Note, our guide to releasing marks and feedback to students explains how to publish marks.
2. Quick checklist
Grade Centre settings checklist:
- Have you hidden the associated Grade Centre column for the assessment? Our hide columns guide explains how.
- Have you hidden the Total column so that students cannot work out their marks based on data feeding into these columns? Our hide the total column guide explains how.
Turnitin assignment settings checklist:
- Have you set the Post Date to the date that you want marks and feedback to be released?
- Have you set Reveal Grades Immediately to No?
- Have you set Ignore Turnitin Grades to No?
Blackboard assignment settings checklist:
- Have you deselected the Include in Grade Centre calculations option?
- Have you deselected the Show to students in My Grades option?
- Have you deselected the Show statistics option?
3. Grade Centre settings - more information
How do I hide columns from students?
For most Grade Centre columns, you can click the action link at the top of the column and click Hide from students. The action link is a circle with an arrow pointing down.
Important: When hiding assignment columns, please be aware that students may be able to work out their marks using data feeding into the Total column. To prevent this, you can also hide the Total column.
The visibility of assignment columns is tied to the assignment settings. If you make any changes to a Blackboard or Turnitin assignment, make sure to also check Grade Centre.
How can I tell if a column is hidden from students?
When a column is hidden from students, a red line icon will appear at the top, next to the column name. This means that the data is not currently visible to students via My Grades, Provisional Grades, or the Blackboard app.
4. Turnitin assignments - more information
Note, if you are looking for step by step instructions to setting up a Turnitin assignment, please see our guide to creating Turnitin assignments with recommended settings.
Key settings involved in the release of marks:
Post Date: Set this to the date in the Module Handbook to ensure you're following the policy of work being marked within four weeks of the due date.
- This is the date that marks and feedback will be released for all submissions.
- If circumstances arise which prevent work being marked by the post date, it is important that you edit this before the date passes and inform students of a new post date with a module announcement / email.
Reveal Grades Immediately: Choose No.
- Choosing No means that the marks and feedback will be released on the Post Date.
- If set to Yes, this overrides the post date, so as soon as you mark the first assignment, that student is able to see their mark / feedback. Students tend to complain if their coursemates get their marks earlier than them, so this isn't desirable.
Ignore Turnitin Grades: Choose No.
- Choosing No means that marks will be sent to the module Grade Centre on the Post Date.
- If this is set to Yes, you will not be able to export marks from Turnitin and students will not be able to see their marks unless they reopen their submissions.
5. Blackboard assignments - more information
Note, if you are looking for step by step instructions to setting up a Blackboard assignment, please see our guide to creating Blackboard assignments.
Key settings involved in the release of marks:
Include in Grade Centre calculations: Deselect this option.
- Deselecting this option means that marks from the assignment will not feed into the Total column. This prevents students from working out their mark too early.
Show to students in My Grades: Deselect this option.
- Deselecting this option hides the associated column in Grade Centre, meaning marks will be hidden from students until you reveal the column.
Show statistics: Leave this unticked.
- Leaving this option unticked means that students won't see additional statistics about their marks.
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk. For other pages / comments, please use the What's Your View form on the page.