Online exam / test guidance
1. Advice for Instructors
- If creating questions in Word, paste your question / answer text into Notepad first, to avoid any unwanted underlying HTML characters.
- Avoid creating large exams (maximum 50 questions).
- Avoid using randomised display order with question-by-question display.
- When using random selection of questions from pools, keep exam as short as possible.
- Don’t use force completion when only allowing students one attempt. A student experiencing an error would not be able to resume from where they left off or start again.
2. Advice for your students
- Use Google Chrome, not Internet Explorer. Chrome is faster and less likely to time out.
- Save their attempt every ten minutes.
3. Limit access to websites during online exams
You can use Respondus LockDown Browser to prevent students from accessing websites and limit functionality such as printing during online exams.
Before using this tool, please check that you are happy with the name of your test, as you are advised not to change this after setting up LockDown Browser.
a. After you have set up your online exam, click Module Tools from the Module Management menu at the bottom left of the screen.
b. In the Module Tools list, click Respondus LockDown Browser.
c. You will see a list of Blackboard tests within your module. Click the arrow to the left of the test you want to manage using Respondus LockDown Browser.
d. Click Modify Settings.
e. Click Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam.
f. You can set a password that students will need to access the exam. This is useful if you want to ensure all students start a moderated exam at the same time.
g. In the Advanced Settings list (click the plus to expand this section), you can:
- Lock students into the browser until the exam is completed. This prevents students from exiting a test early.
- Allow students to take this exam with an iPad. This requires the LockDown Browser app.
- Allow access to specific external web domains. This allows you to enable access to specific websites, such as an online journal.
- Enable Calculator on the toolbar. This allows you to provide a standard or scientific calculator in the browser.
- Enable Printing from the toolbar. This provides a print button in the browser.
h. The Monitor Webcam Settings section refers to an add-on feature that allows students to use a web cam to record themselves during an exam. It requires an additional license.
i. Click Save and Close.
Important: After setting up Respondus LockDown Browser, avoid changing the following test settings: Name, Open Test in a New Window, Require a Password, Password. If you edit these settings, the test status will show an error.
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk. For other pages / comments, please use the What's Your View form on the page.