Release marks and feedback to students
This guide explains how to release marks and feedback to students from Turnitin and Blackboard assignments.
2. Make the Provisional Grades link visible to students
You need to make the Provisional Grades link visible in your MyBeckett module navigation menu for students to access marks and feedback within your module.
a. By default, the Provisional Grades link is hidden from students. This is indicated by a square icon with a line through it that you will see when you are in Edit Mode.
b. When you hover your cursor over the link, a message will confirm that This link is hidden from students.
c. To reveal the Provisional Grades link to students, click the circular action button that appears to the right when you hover over the link area.
d. Click Show Link from the menu that appears.
e. The square icon with a line through it will disappear from the module navigation menu, showing that the Provisional Grades link is now live for students using the module.
f. If you need to hide the link, click the action button again and select Hide Link.
3. Release marks and feedback from Turnitin assignments
When creating a Turnitin assignment, you are required to specify a start date, due date, and post date.
- Start Date: Determines when students can start submitting to the assignment.
- Due Date: Determines when assignments are due. Set this to the due date specified in the Module Handbook. Students can't submit after the due date unless late submissions are enabled.
- Post Date: The date marks and feedback will be released for all submissions. We recommend that you set this to the date in the Module Handbook to ensure you're following the policy of work being marked within four weeks of the due date.
If circumstances arise which prevent work being marked by the post date, it is important that you edit this before the date passes and inform students of a new post date with a module announcement / email.
If you follow our recommended settings when setting up your Turnitin assignment, students will be able to view their marks and feedback once the post date has passed. The Grade Centre column will become visible automatically.
4. Release marks and feedback from Blackboard assignments
Blackboard assignments do not have the option of an automatic post date for marks and feedback.
However, when creating a Blackboard assignment, you can hide student grades by deselecting the options to Include in Grade Centre grading calculations and Show to students in My Grades.
Important: If you choose to hide grades from students, you will need to remember to make them visible after you have entered all marks and feedback. This is a manual process, described below.
a. Access the Full Grade Centre from the Module Management menu.
b. Find the column for your Blackboard assignment (you may need to scroll to the right). Columns that are hidden from students are marked by a square with a red line through it.
c. Click the circular action link button to the right of column that you want to unhide.
d. Select Edit Column Information from the drop-down list.
e. Scroll down to the Options section. To reveal grades to students, change the following settings according to your requirements:
- Include this Column in Grade Centre Calculations: Choose Yes if you want the data to affect calculated columns, such as the running total.
- Show this Column to Students: Choose Yes. This allows students to view their grades.
- Show Statistics (average and median) for this column to Students in My Grades: Optional. If you want students to be able to compare their grade against the module average and median, choose Yes.
f. Click Submit to apply the changes.
g. The square icon with a red line through it will disappear from the column heading, showing that the column is visible to students.
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk. For other pages / comments, please use the What's Your View form on the page.