Module / Course Group Archiving and Deletion
This page contains information for staff about archiving and deletion processes in MyBeckett.
Archiving and deletion processes are an essential part of system maintenance. These tasks are carried out by the Digital Learning Service, in collaboration with our MyBeckett supplier (Blackboard) and colleagues in IT Services.
2. Why do we archive / delete MyBeckett content?
There are numerous reasons for archiving content in MyBeckett, including but not limited to:
- Archiving results in a tidier system and speeds up processes. For example, there are fewer modules to search through whilst self-enrolling or managing content.
- Archiving reduces the risk of outdated or inaccessible content and links.
- Archiving helps the University to comply with legislation and policies, such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Leeds Beckett University Records (including data) Retention Policy.
- Archiving reduces the amount of storage space that we require in order to host MyBeckett, which can save the University money.
3. How long do we keep content in MyBeckett?
Staff and students have access to modules for the current academic year, as well as the three previous academic years. Older modules will have been archived from MyBeckett, and then eventually deleted in compliance with policy.
For example, in the 2019/20 academic year, staff and students could access modules from 2019/20, 2018/19, 2017/18 and 2016/17.
Students have access to course groups for the current academic year.
This is different for staff, who can access course groups for the current academic year, as well as the three previous academic years. Older course groups will have been archived from MyBeckett, and then eventually deleted in compliance with policy.
For example, in the 2018/19 academic year, staff could access course groups from 2018/19, 2017/18, 2016/17 and 2015/16.
4. Can I copy or download content before it is archived?
If you want to copy content from a previous module or course group before it is archived, you can follow the steps in our module copy guide and course group copy guide, it is also possible to bulk download files from module or course group content collections.
The next batch of modules and course groups that will be archived from MyBeckett are from the 2016/17 academic year. Further information about this process will be announced to academic staff in our MyBeckett email newsletters.
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with 'teachlearn' e.g. https://teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Page last updated: 04/03/2021