MyBeckett Induction Advice
1. Pre-induction: LBU Study Ready
Students who will be studying at the University may wish to access our LBU Study Ready module. This module provides students with an introduction to University teaching, independent learning, and critical thinking skills, as well as many other useful resources.
The Marketing team will direct students to this resource in their communications. It is available to anyone via the MyBeckett login page, without the need to log into MyBeckett. Simply click Access in the LBU Study Ready box.
2. After receiving login details: Get Started tab
In August, students will have access to the Get Started tab when they log into MyBeckett. This contains information relevant to new starters, such as a get started checklist and links to student email and the welcome site.
The Get Started tab will be available to new starters until the end of October. From November, the Course tab will become their MyBeckett homepage. This contains information relevant to their course, such as announcements, course contacts and handbooks.
3. Induction weeks and beyond: LBU Study Smart
LBU Study Smart is an induction module, aimed at students in their first weeks of study at Leeds Beckett University. It is available to staff and students via the Library tab in MyBeckett.
To see all of the content in this module, the first time you access it you will need to click Enrol at the bottom of the module menu. After that, LBU Study Smart will appear in your My Modules list on the Modules tab in MyBeckett.
LBU Study Smart contains tips and advice on what it is like to study at Leeds Beckett University. It introduces some of the key skills and services that students will need during their time with the University.
Course teams can decide how to use LBU Study Smart with your students, and may choose to focus on Unit 1 during induction weeks as this includes information about navigating MyBeckett as well as using the Library and accessing support.
- Unit 1 Getting Started: find out about the tools and technologies you'll need to set-up and the services to get familiar with in your first few weeks of study
- Unit 2 Key Study Skills: learn about the key study skills you'll need to be successful at university, including learning online, time management and keeping on track
- Unit 3 Research and Writing: discover the key research, writing and referencing skills you'll need to complete your university assessments successfully.
4. Other resources
If you would like to provide other induction materials for your students, you could include these within a specific module or course group.
Our reading list guide explains how to add to your module's reading list, or you can speak to your Academic Librarian for more information about this.
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with 'teachlearn' e.g. https://teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Page last updated: 22/10/2020