Teaching and Learning Activities
Induction is an important event for our new students, ensuring that they are given the best possible start to their study and education experience. It's usually the first interaction they have with their course teams and their peers, and their first opportunity to start building their learning community.
For distance learners, their course induction is also their first interaction with virtual learning environment MyBeckett, where they will learn how to interact with this potentially unfamiliar learning environment. It's likely that the amount of student interaction that occurs during the course induction will set precedence for rest of course
What should be included in an Induction?
A good induction should include:
- Information about the University and its key processes and services that are relevant to students
- Information about the Course, highlighting the most important information
- Information about learning in an online environment - and general study skills that students might not have used for a while
- Opportunities to interact with their peers, get to know each other and build the community that will stay with them through their course.
It's important to be proactive with community building on your online course - providing space for discussion, interaction and sharing. Several course teams have had luck in using Google+ Communities to provide a social interactive course-related space for their courses.
All distance learners are also invited to join the Leeds Beckett Distance Learning community, maintained and moderated by DLU. In this community we post University-wide announcements and also host a series of videos and posts of interest from various University services.
View the DLU Induction Exemplar
DLU have completed an exemplar module on MyBeckett that includes all of the key components for an induction. You can email the Distance Learning Unit (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be enrolled into the module, or follow the steps below:
1) Click to access the MyBeckett Induction examplar module here.
2) Click the Enrol button at the bottom of the left hand side menu
3) Enter DLU2713 into the Access Code box and click Submit
4) Click OK
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk. For other pages / comments, please use the What's Your View form on the page.