Developing your students' academic skills
The Library Academic Support Team can support you in developing your students’ skills in:
Information and digital literacy
Maths and statistical analysis
For all these areas, the Team provides academic skills teaching embedded in the curriculum, the Skills for Learning website, a programme of generic online events and an opportunity for one-to-one support through short appointments with Academic Librarians and Academic Skills Tutors.
Book in-curriculum sessions for your students
We can provide in-curriculum sessions for your students on a variety of topics to help develop their academic and professional skills. The Academic Skills Prospectus outlines all the sessions and you can make a booking by using our online request form.
Self-directed skills support
Students can develop their academic skills on their own, or seek support and guidance, by using the following resources:
- Our online subject guides encourage students to become self-reliant in their library research and digital literacy skills.
- The Skills for Learning website has a wealth of information and downloadable material on topics such as academic writing, research skills and statistical analysis.
- Throughout the year there are Skills for Learning open workshops that students from any course or level can attend. These include webinars, online academic skills drop-ins and Study Cafés where students can work remotely alongside peers. Students can find more information and book onto the events on MyHub.
- Students can book half-hour appointments with Academic Librarians or Academic Skills Tutors who can help with academic skills, such as academic writing, finding library resources and referencing, as well as maths and statistics queries. Appointments can be online or by phone and can be booked using the Library’s Get Help form.
MyBeckett skills modules
- LBU Study Ready is an academic skills module for students planning to study at Leeds Beckett. It aims to provide students with a taster of the skills they would need to develop in order to become successful learners. To access the module, visit the MyBeckett login page and click the Access button in the LBU Study Ready box.
- LBU Study Smart is a module students can enrol on once they are at University and aims to introduce them to the key skills and services they’ll need to reach their potential at Leeds Beckett.
- LBU Academic Integrity 2020/2021 provides information, videos and activities to introduce students to AI and to help them develop the skills they need for academic success.
Online learning environments
MyBeckett is the University's virtual learning environment. Support materials for staff using MyBeckett and other systems such as Pebblepad and Turnitin include:
This feedback form is for web page URLs that begin with 'teachlearn' e.g. https://teachlearn.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Page last updated: 16/12/2020